Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sans Rival

I know, this is "diabetically" wrong for me. But come on, would you pass on the chance at having a bite (or two, or sixty, depending on your appetite) from this insanely delightful amalgamation of egg, butter and sugar? The crispy cashew wafer and smooth butter cream are just divine. It  is one of those few foods that can be classified as 'foodgasmic' – if made right.

I can't remember the last time I made Sans Rival -- probably years already. When we moved to this apartment, I presumed I lost the recipe. I did not even bother to search for it since there is a million places it could have ended up.

So now I have this blog and I cannot elude the nagging feeling to make Sans Rival. I checked my hard drive and my emails, hoping I was clever enough to have saved it -- nothing. I asked the source to send me a copy hoping I am charming enough to get a copy again -- nothing. So I guess I am neither clever nor charming ... lol. I checked the drawer beside the oven and rummaged through an assemblage of clutter. Guess what I found?

The Sans Rival recipe!
Wafer
1 cup egg whites
1 cup sugar
1 cup cashew nuts, chopped
½ tsp vanilla
Grease and flour heavily 3 cookie sheets. Set aside. Beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Gradually add the sugar, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until egg whites are stiff. Fold in cashew nuts and vanilla. Spread thinly in prepared pans. Bake at 375 °F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cut wafers in the center if desired. Loosen and slide wafers to a flat surface. Cool. (Work while wafers are hot because they are hard to loosen as they are crisp when cool.) Prepare filling.

Filling
1 ½ cup sugar ½ cup water
9 egg yolks
1 cup cashew nuts, chopped
3 sticks or 1 ½ cup butter
Boil sugar and water until it spins a thread. Meanwhile, beat egg yolks until thick. Pour syrup to egg yolks in thin streams while beating. Cool. Cream butter. Blend in egg yolk and butter. Fill and cover wafers with filling. Sprinkle top with cashew nuts. Serve chilled.




one of the wafers burnt so this one has 3 layers only

i used all of the whites and all wafers came out good so this one has 6 layers


No comments:

Post a Comment