Thursday, June 24, 2010

Carbonara

This is an easy to prepare  pasta I learned from my sister-in-law, Myla. Let me be clear that this is just "our version" of the Carbonara. I am aware that with the "Real Carbonara", Italians do not use cream but use eggs instead and a lot of pecorino and parmesan cheese. I frankly do not know how that would taste (and I would love to try it someday) but I am confident our version is comparable to the classic Italian cuisine. This is even better than CPK's version (according to my kids!).


Ingredients:
1 lb pasta (spaghetti, angel hair or penne)
1 lb bacon (fried)
4 oz  butter
5-6 cloves garlic (or more)
1 can (7 oz) mushroom 
2 cans Nestlé table cream
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper


Directions:
1. In a skillet, brown bacon (I use Hatfiled Hardwood Smoked) until crispy. Set aside.

2. In a large saucepot, boil water with liberal amount of salt and olive oil.  Add pasta and cook to al dente, about 8-11 minutes.

3. Using a different skillet, melt 2 oz butter over medium-low heat and saute garlic until soft. Add mushroom and cook for about 2 minutes. Still in medium-low heat, add the table cream and cook for about 5-10 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add the leftover butter (2 oz). The sauce should be smooth and creamy so never leave the sauce to cook without stirring otherwise it will turn chunky and coarse.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Do not add too much salt (a pinch will do) since the bacon will give the sauce the flavor it needs.

5. Drain the pasta well, pour sauce on it and top with crushed bacon and parmesan cheese. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment