Friday, August 2, 2013

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I fell in love with this soup the first time I had it at Au Bon Pain in Macy's, NY. It was not so thick yet creamy enough the way I like it. Then there was the Panera Bread's version which was also just as good and hubby enjoyed it as much as I did. One bowl costs around $5 and was not even enough for me, hubby and the kids. Instead of being silly spending money on soup, I might as well learn how to make it. So the hunt for a a good
recipe began. I gathered ideas from recipes I read and videos I watched online and this is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp melted butter (others use 1 tbsp)
1 medium onion chopped (others use half)
6 tbsp melted butter (others use 4 tbsp)
1/4 cup flour (I accidentally used 1/3 cup)
2 cups half and half cream
2 cups chicken stock
1 lb fresh broccoli (others use 1/2 lb)
1 cup julienned carrots
1/4 tsp nutmeg
8 ounces grated mild cheddar cheese (others use sharp)

Directions:
Sauté onion in 2 tbsp butter then set aside.







Cook 6 tbsp butter and flour over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.








Using whisk stir constantly.


Slowly add half and half cream






and chicken stock, still whisking.







Simmer 20 minutes.

Add broccoli, carrots and onion. Cook over low heat until the veggies are tender 20-25 minutes.

Add salt and pepper to taste. The soup should have thickened by now.

Carefully transfer soup mixture to a blender and blend to your desired consistency.










Pour soup back into pot and then place on low heat.

Add cheese and stir until melted and blended.

Add nutmeg.



Broccoli and Cheddar Soup


No comments:

Post a Comment